January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 28 00:30

Re: [vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 00:17, Bill Broadley wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 07:16:52PM -0700, Eric Nelson wrote:
> > We are developing an embedded system which uses Java and X
> > Windows. It doesn't have a VGA.
> >
> > When we run some code on a desktop with lots of ram and vga, we
> > get pretty good performance, but on our embedded system,
> > performance is poor.
>
> First of all I'd like to advocate IBM JVM for x86's if it fits your
> license requirements.  I've been playing europa (java xbattle like
> game), and of all the people that play IBM's JVM is the only one
> that seems entirely stable, it's quite fast as well.

I agree.  The IBM product (VisualAge ??) seems to be by far better
than the Sun product.  However, the decision makers in our company
want to use Sun because we already have a product using it.  Go
figure.

> > There are several factors which may contribute to this problem:
> > swapping of the libraries or X Server itself, latency in the X
>
> Vmstat is a good place to start, I'd read the man page fully.  Try
> vmstat or vmstat 1 (1 data point per second).

I will.

> Keep in mind that with linux you have a unified cache, and that
> for binaries that are read only without enough memory you get ONLY
> page in's for code.  Since the binaries are read-only when locked
> the pages are just invalidated.  So for a 32 MB binary and 24 MB
> ram you will continuously keep reading from storage to try to get
> the 32 MB in memory (assuming the right memory access pattern).  As
> opposed to traditional swapping where each page miss results in a
> read and a write (which will happen if you try to have to much data
> in memory).

I really don't understand.  Does this mean the binarys continually
swap in and out?

> Of course embedded systems often have much slower I/O systems then
> your average IDE disk, which exaberates the problems.

Well, I would think the flash reads are faster than ide.

> Flash can be VERY slow to write, you should definitely be VERY
> careful to insure all writes are non-blocking for any kind of
> performance/realtime requirements.

I'm going to use a ram drive for say, /tmp, and part of /var, to
minimize writes to flash.  Also, flash wears out, and you can get
file corruptions, but thats another thread.

> > Server, processor speed, Java, the video driver, etc.  So maybe
> > we need more ram, or a faster video driver, or to lock X into
> > ram, or simply go to a faster clock.
> >
> > My question is, how can we time stamp events, or get a trace of
> > memory and swap usage, or whatever necessary, to pin down where
> > the problem is?
>
> It's fairly easy to write a cycle counter to get very accurate
> timing that will not effect the system much, although you don't
> mention the cpu your using, only afaik pentiums and higher have the
> traditional cycle counter, I use something like:
> inline
> unsigned long long
> getcycle (void)                 /* return the cycle counter in an
> unsigned long long.  If you have similiar code for any other
> architecture/os please email me */ {
>   unsigned long high, low;
>
>   __asm__ __volatile__ (".byte 0x0f,0x31"
>
>                         :"=a" (low), "=d" (high));
>
>   return (((unsigned long long) high << 32) + low);
> }

Yeah, but I have deadlines, commitments, a boss who doesn't appreciate
the beauty of really solving a problem how it should be done.  I
would enjoy hacking the code like that, but, to do this w/ X will
require understanding how it all fits together.  Egads!

As Todd Christiansen says,
there are three qualities of a good programmer:
laziness
impatience
hubris
I've got plenty of the first two.  But, I appreciate the suggestion
and will remember it for when I do my own drivers (soon).

> If your not swapping (and you shouldn't be), I'd sprinkle getcycle
> calls throughput your code and track where the time is.  I'm not
> that familiar with java profilling, but it's not to hard to call a
> c function from java (unless it's an applet).

We won't have swap.  But, I have heard, X can lock up when ram runs
low.  We will be checking for that.  l will be learning how interface
C to Java soon, when we interface our drivers to Java.

> So what cpu are you targeting (intel x86? clone?)  Application?
> Ram? Storage? (flash?)  Vram?  How much?  Video chipset? Any?
> Supporting bitblit?  Even the most basic bitblt support can make
> radical difference for anything involving scrolling.

What is bitblit?  The cpu is Geode, by National, w/ Cyrix CS5530
companion.  It's an oddball processer, not so well supported by
Linux.  It's a point of sale terminal w/ touchscreen, mag. stripe
reader, several serial ports, networking, data base.  I'm having
problems w/ audio, console, X server.  But, it's low power, (no
fans), low mips :-(  , and I am getting things to work, with a lot of
coaxing.  We will use 128 to 256 M ram.  We will use disk on chip for
main storage and compact flash for backup.  Probably 128 Meg on the
DOC.  Would like to use JFFS2, Journalling Flash File System,
(another thread) but will probably start w/ ext3.

To be honest, another guy is worrying about performance now, but I am
sure it will be a recurring issue.

> Send us more detail and we might be able to offer other
> suggestions.

As the project continues, I am sure there will be plenty of
interesting problems, and you guys are great to present questions to.
;~)