2002 Aug 26 11:23

Re: [vox-tech] processor shootout: new intel, amd offerings

Re: [vox-tech] processor shootout: new intel, amd offerings

Sorry to be a whining anarchist pinko liberal commie bastard but I think
Lintel is only a 50% improvement over Wintel.  People should really check
out the new SGI Fuels or the iMacs or if you want to have fun, I have
always loved the DEC Alphas (architecture that AMD and Intel are
now mimicking in their 64-bit chip) . . . now that is impressive and not
as ridiculously priced as one expects.  Anyone that owns an Amiga, a
Next, a palmtop DOS machine, or a classic fatmac can tell you, that speed
and flexibility that comes with modern machines can sometimes be willfully
sacraficed for grace, beauty, and style!

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> this is pretty cool...
>
> http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/p4_28g.shtml
>
> summary:
>
> what was released
> =================
> intel just released a 2.8 GHz P4 with a 533MHz FSB.
> amd just "released" the 2600+ athlon based on the thoroughbred core.
>
> availability
> ============
> intel's chip is already on the market.  AMD's chip is not available.
> the media has coined AMD's release as a "paper release".
>
> heat
> ====
> reviewer said the new P4 runs pretty cool review said the new P4
> operating temp was at 34C.   ... oh my god, becky!  that's cooler than
> my athlon 1.4!
>
> overclocking
> ============
> the new intel reached 3.15 reliably.
>
> benchmarks
> ==========
> the new P4 outperformed the new athlon by 10% - 15% on each benchmark.
> the new athlon is about equivalent to a 2.53 P4.  reviewer points out
> that you don't want to skimp on the RAM for the P4.
>
> pricing
> =======
> pretty much what you'd expect.  the new P4 is $508, new athlon is $300.
> major drag.  i'm not sure $200 is worth a 15% gain in oomph.  but if i
> had a real job...   :)   when the 2600+ reaches the market, hopefully
> the 2.8 P4 will drop a bit.
>
> pete

Sincerely,
	Christopher J. McKenzie