2002 Aug 23 18:43

Re: [vox-tech] different kernel versions see HD's as different devices

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Kai Harris <harrisk@sbcglobal.net>
>
>>In trying to get firewire to work correctly, I am trying to use the
>>standard "vanilla" 2.4.19 kernel instead of my gentoo 2.4.19-r7 kernel.
>> I haven't had any trouble getting or compiling the vanilla kernel, but
>>when I boot it, it insists that my hard drives are /dev/hde and /dev/hdf
>>whereas my gentoo kernel recognized my drives as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb.
>> This is a royal pain
>

> yuck.  i can imagine.  guess you need to edit fstab before rebooting to
> the other kernel.

yea, I was hoping to not have to edit fstab because that will create the
same problems for my other kernel.

>>I have absolutely no idea why a new kernel would recognize my drives as
>>different devices.  Can anybody enlighten me and/or offer a fix?
>

> are these normal IDE drives connected to the motherboard (as opposed to
> say, a PCI based ATA100 card)?

They are normal IDE hard drives.  One is a WD ata/100, the other is a
Fujitsu ata/66. They are connected to the onboard ata controllers.  Um,
Via VT8233 is the chipset.