2002 Aug 23 18:39

Re: [vox-tech] different kernel versions see HD's as different devices

Re: [vox-tech] different kernel versions see HD's as different devices

begin Kai Harris <harrisk@sbcglobal.net>
> In trying to get firewire to work correctly, I am trying to use the
> standard "vanilla" 2.4.19 kernel instead of my gentoo 2.4.19-r7 kernel.
>  I haven't had any trouble getting or compiling the vanilla kernel, but
> when I boot it, it insists that my hard drives are /dev/hde and /dev/hdf
> whereas my gentoo kernel recognized my drives as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb.
>  This is a royal pain

yuck.  i can imagine.  guess you need to edit fstab before rebooting to
the other kernel.

> I have absolutely no idea why a new kernel would recognize my drives as
> different devices.  Can anybody enlighten me and/or offer a fix?

are these normal IDE drives connected to the motherboard (as opposed to
say, a PCI based ATA100 card)?

pete