2002 Aug 23 16:40

Re: [vox-tech] lame-ass mozilla questions

Re: [vox-tech] lame-ass mozilla questions

begin Shawn P. Neugebauer <spn@ucdavis.edu>
> On Friday 23 August 2002 03:09 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> [snip]
> > apparently /home/p/.mozilla/p/sfyq5cev.slt/mimeTypes.rdf.  looks like
> > some kind of xml file.
> >
> > i wonder if that config file pathname and filename is supposed to be a
> > joke?
>
> no, it's a security feature.

what kind of security?  security from what?

> as for speed, one thing you *may* be noticing is that the engine
> renders nearly the entire page before displaying it.  in early versions
> of mozilla, when it really was slow, i found this incredibly annoying
> because i liked netscape's behavior of displaying the page as it
> was received/processed.  i realized i had completely forgotten
> about this until i was thinking about your comment.

maybe you're right here -- is there a way to change this behavior?  i
tried thumbing through mozilla's prefs and couldn't find anything that
seemed relevant.

> opera does not use the gecko engine, correct?

yeah.  completely different engine (opera 7 has yet another engine,
written from scratch.  the project started 18 months ago and is supposed
to be even faster than opera 5 which was the fastest version of opera).

pete