2002 Aug 23 15:39

[vox-tech] lame-ass mozilla questions

ok, it's been awhile since i've used netscape/mozilla, but i'd like to
at least be familiar with these browsers.  not everyone has opera...

1. mozilla opens .ra and .rm files using /usr/X11/bin/realplay.  yet
   "edit|prefs|helper apps" has just one entry: "text/html".  where else
   does mozilla store information identifying helper apps with mime
   types (or filename extensions)?

   very mysterious!

2. mozilla is dog slow.  compared to opera, using mozilla makes me want
   to shoot myself, just to relieve the boredom.   have people found
   that recompiling it from source using pentium-builder did any good?

3. i saw a screenshot of mozilla with "window tabs", like opera.
   frankly, this (and speed) are the two reasons why i use opera and not
   mozilla.  think of a GTK+ notebook widget, with each notebook page
   being a separate browser window.

   what version of mozilla did this appear in?

on the bright side, last time i really used mozilla, it segfaulted
within minutes of opening up.  1.0.0 seems extremely stable!  the
developers did a great job here.

pete