2002 Aug 20 21:20

Re: [vox-tech] php question - references?

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 01:58:45PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> suppose $i = "j".
>
> suppose $j = "dog".
>

> is there any way to use something like ${$i} and get "dog"?

As has been mentioned, yep.
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.variable.php

Also you can have variables as function names:
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/functions.variable-functions.php

If you haven't grabbed the pdf or html tarball manual from php.net, do it!
It's a better reference than any book i've seen and should be all an
experienced programmer will need.

p.s. thanks to whomever (Pete?, Bill the PRslut?) convinced maddog to speak
to us.  I enjoyed the talk immensely as did my g/f.

-troy