January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 22 11:38

[vox-tech] ieee 1394

I recently bought a pci firewire adaptor (www.firewiredirect.com) and
have been unable to get it working properly in linux.  This card has
been rated 'very good' by the folks over at linux1394.org.

I've got an iPod and am trying to get it to work with the iPod plugin
for xTunes (www.tex9.com).  I haven't gotten xTunes to work quite right
yet either, but I am most worried right now about getting firewire
working under linux.  Does anybody have experience with firewire in Linux?

My kernel is 2.4.19-r7.  I have compiled in support for ieee1394
support, ohci 1394 support, sbp2 support, and raw ieee1394 support as
per the xtunes ipod plugin installation page
(www.tex9.com/docs/plugin-install.php).

My ipod is recognized, but the SBP2 module times out trying to access
it.  Here is the relevant output from dmesg:

ohci1394: $Revision: 1.101 $ Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): IRQ=[11]  MMIO=[e1024000-e1024800]  Max
Packet=[2048]
ieee1394: Host added: Node[00:1023]  GUID[0001560000000a26]  [Linux
OHCI-1394]
ieee1394: NodeMgr: hotplug policy returned -2
ieee1394: Device added: Node[01:1023]  GUID[000a270002046c8f]  [Apple
Computer, Inc.]
ieee1394: sbp2: Error logging into SBP-2 device - login timed-out
ieee1394: sbp2: sbp2_login_device failed
scsi1 : IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver (host: ohci1394)
SBP-2 module load options:
- Max speed supported: S400
- Max sectors per I/O supported: 255
- Max outstanding commands supported: 8
- Max outstanding commands per lun supported: 1
- Serialized I/O (debug): no

This is how i'm loading the modules:

# modprobe sd_mod
# modprobe ieee1394
# modprobe ohci1394
# modprobe sbp2
#

In addition to the documentation at the Tex9 site, www.linux1394.org has
quite a bit of documentation and archived mailing lists.  I have gone
through their installation instructions thoroughly and have not been
able to come up with an answer.  From what I understand, firewire
devices usually show up as /dev/sda or dev/sdb.  However, neither of
these devices is showing up (probably because the SBP2 module isn't

Anybody have success using firewire devices under linux?  Any
suggestions about what to do?