2002 Aug 27 00:18

Re: [vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

Re: [vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

Maybe a profiling tool for Java will tell you something, if there is
such a program.

With gcc, people generally use gprof, I think.  But there was some comment
on slashdot a few days ago about how gprof is outdated and such so perhaps
nobody uses it now.  I certainly don't.

-Mark :P

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Eric Nelson wrote:

> We are developing an embedded system which uses Java and X Windows.
> It doesn't have a VGA.
>
> When we run some code on a desktop with lots of ram and vga, we get
> pretty good performance, but on our embedded system, performance is
> poor.
>
> There are several factors which may contribute to this problem:
> swapping of the libraries or X Server itself, latency in the X
> Server, processor speed, Java, the video driver, etc.  So maybe we
> need more ram, or a faster video driver, or to lock X into ram, or
> simply go to a faster clock.
>
> My question is, how can we time stamp events, or get a trace of memory
> and swap usage, or whatever necessary, to pin down where the problem
> is?

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.