2002 Aug 15 21:53

Re: [vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

Re: [vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

eric,

begin Eric Nelson <en77@attbi.com>
> We are developing an embedded system which uses Java and X Windows.
> It doesn't have a VGA.

embedded and java seems like an oxymoron to me.   :)

> When we run some code on a desktop with lots of ram and vga, we get
> pretty good performance, but on our embedded system, performance is
> poor.
>
> There are several factors which may contribute to this problem:
> swapping of the libraries or X Server itself,latency in the X
> Server, processor speed, Java, the video driver, etc.  So maybe we
> need more ram, or a faster video driver, or to lock X into ram, or
> simply go to a faster clock.
>
> My question is, how can we time stamp events,

what do you mean by "time stamp"?  depending on what you mean, i would
either recommend using the "time" command or the "top" command.

> or get a trace of memory

i'm not exactly sure what a memory trace is, either.   but if it helps,
take a look at /proc/meminfo and see if that shows what you want.

if that's not what you want, take a look at top.

> and swap usage,

ok, that i know.   try:

   cat /proc/swaps

to get how much swap is being used.  if you want to know what processes
have been swaped to disk, it's good old "ps".  see "man ps" and do a
search on "swap".

i saw rod's reply.  as usual, he makes total sense.  :)

pete