2002 Aug 27 00:18

[vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

[vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

We are developing an embedded system which uses Java and X Windows.
It doesn't have a VGA.

When we run some code on a desktop with lots of ram and vga, we get
pretty good performance, but on our embedded system, performance is
poor.

There are several factors which may contribute to this problem:
swapping of the libraries or X Server itself, latency in the X
Server, processor speed, Java, the video driver, etc.  So maybe we
need more ram, or a faster video driver, or to lock X into ram, or
simply go to a faster clock.

My question is, how can we time stamp events, or get a trace of memory
and swap usage, or whatever necessary, to pin down where the problem
is?