2002 Aug 18 20:07

Re: [vox-tech] OT: finding location of a break in in-wall telephone wiri

Re: [vox-tech] OT: finding location of a break in in-wall telephone wiring?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 01:31:40PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> Can anyone point me to resources explaining how to locate a break in my
> in-wall telephone wiring (rat damage), assuming such a thing is possible? I
> have a multimeter; hoping that I can do the trick when handled by a clueful
> operator ;-).

Use a home made time domain reflectometer injector (I've made one), and a
good oscilliscope.  You can detect cable length and any impedance problems
too.

That said, it's probably easier to pull new line useing the old, as
someone's already suggested.

If you look online for a DIY TDR you should see some links.  It's a fun
low cost project... assuming you already have an oscilliscope.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/