2002 Aug 13 10:15

[vox-tech] apt-cdrom makes entries for unstable

[vox-tech] apt-cdrom makes entries for unstable

I ordered CD-ROMs of Debian 3.0 off CheapBytes so I could install Debian
without needing broadband (which I don't have access to at home over the
summer).

I want to make my computer use the CD-ROMs for stable (so if I run
apt-get install packagename/stable, it is loaded off the CD-ROMs), and
use internet sources for Testing and Unstable. I plan to pin whichever
of Stable and Testing is more convenient for me at any given time (in
other words, I plan to pin stable until I have DSL in my apartment in
Davis and then to pin testing)

Unfortunately when the installer or apt-cdrom created entries in my
/etc/apt/sources.list, the CDrom entries were listed not as "stable" but
as "unstable" (they're both the same packages - stable and unstable are
both symlinks to woody on the CDs), but I am afraid that this would get
in my way of using `apt-get install package/preffered-distribution` to
install new packages.

[bloom@cat-in-the-hat ~]% cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-1
(20020718)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-7
(20020718)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-6
(20020718)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-5
(20020718)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-4
(20020718)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-3
(20020718)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-2
(20020718)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable contrib main non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
contrib non-free

How can I make the CD-ROM entries appear as stable? If I try editing
sources.list to change the name, I end up breking my ability to get
packages from the CD-ROMs, even if I run apt-get update.