2002 Aug 07 19:20

[vox-tech] need printer advice badly

hola,

my HP laserjet 6MP definitely needs a new output spindle, and could use
a new feeder.  the feeder is not crucial; sometimes it spits out two
pages instead of 1, which is more of an annoyance than anything else.
the output spindle must get replaced.

the repair guy said that i'd need a new fuser kit for $329 and labor to
install the fuser kit would be $110 for a grand total of $439.

that's way too much for me.  i'm hoping to get my printer back without
paying THAT much money.

1. even though i don't know what a "fuser kit" is, it sounds like this
kit is way overkill for an output spindle and a feeder.   it sounds like
it supplies "electrical stuff".  can someone comment on this?

2. does anyone have printer experience who could help me install the
fuser kit so i can avoid the $110?   another option would be to buy a
HP 6MP from ebay.  looks like they're going for about $200.  shipping
might be another $50 at most.  cannibalizing one of these and doing the
job myself would still be cheaper than servicing.  plus, i'd get some
extra RAM in the process that i can cannibalize too.

3. can someone recommend a new printer?  my needs are pretty exacting.
it _must_ be postscript.  it _must_ be a laser printer.  it _must_ be
under $500.  all these are hard requirements.  does such a printer exist?

pete