2002 Aug 05 23:24

Re: [vox-tech] anyone have debain woody installation cds?

Re: [vox-tech] anyone have debain woody installation cds?

Quoting Gabriel Rosa (grosa@ucdavis.edu):

> If you have broadband, or just a night to burn, i'd recommend downloading
> the installation floppies from debian.org, and doing a net install.

initial obstacle.  Once past that, you're fine.)  Second your
recommendation.

Other starting points:

o  Progeny Graphical Installer CD image for Debian "woody"/3.0 for i386:
   ftp://ftp.progeny.com/progeny/debian/iso/Progeny1.0/

o  Libranet distribution (woody-compatible) CD image for i386:
   ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/libranet/2.0/
   (It's a nice "desktop" Debian-derivative.  You can either just
   stick with it, or trivially synchronise packages to Debian itself.)

o  Unofficial "netinst" 30MB CD images for Debian "woody"/3.0:
   http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/
   Why?  Saves you having to deal with floppy failures & slowness.

> On that note, if this is for a desktop machine, Sarge/Sid might also
> be good candidates. I am running Sarge on my desktop and Sid on the laptop,
> both without any problems.

Debian's "testing" branch (currently symlinked to "sarge") is fine for
most things.  Debian's "unstable" branch (permanently codename "sid")
_will_ get pretty messed up, from time to time.  I guarantee it.  OK if
you know how to fix broken packages up to and including libc.

Field guide to Debian branches:

Branch    Currently is    You are...
stable    "woody"/3.0     Risk-adverse.  And don't mind old versions.
testing   "sarge"         In search of the bleeding edge w/o bloodshed.
unstable  "sid" (always)  A trifle mad, and/or a Debian developer.

The aim of installing a set of "woody" installation media is generally
not to be on "woody", but rather to start following one of the stable,
testing, or unstable package tracks via apt-get.