January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 02 21:27

Re: [vox-tech] hard drive recovery

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 01:04:42PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> a friend (who only uses windows) had a laptop hard drive fail.  it gives
> the "click click of death" that you hear when a drive fails.
>
> he asked about the possibility of recovering some unbacked up data.

  If you can read any block of the drive it is possible.  I recommend
that he power off his system and do not use the drive for anything
until a replacement drive is available to extract data onto and
he is prepared to spend a few hours working on it.

> has anyone "been here" before?  what did you do?

  Done this recover from a failing hard drive thing three times in the
last 6 months, I wrote a report about two of them and sent to vox-tech...