2002 Aug 01 22:49

RE: [vox-tech] simple X86 question

> it *definitely* shouldn't have.   are you absolutely, positively *sure*
> you hit control-alt-backspace and NOT control-alt-delete?  the latter
> will restart the machine.  the former will kill X.
>
> if so, please post the output of:
>
> grep shutdown /etc/inittab

will do...the computer in question is actually at work...so I'll have to get
back to ya tomorrow. In fact....I am *not* sure that it rebooted the
machine. I'm sure it just respawned, or rebirthed, or rehatched, etc.....I
just remembered it was not successful in stopping it. I do know it was
ctrl-alt-backspace though...that is for sure.

I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know....(if you do not here anything
from me...it means that everything you'all said was right...)

> > b) i've read that it does not cleanly exit from the X server
> anyway so it
> > shouldn't be routinely used
>
> absolutely not.  whoever told you that is just wrong.
>
> see "man XF86Config-4" and do a search for "Backspace".  it's a normal,
> healthy part of X.

Great! I'll have to see which book told me that and get back to you.....