January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jul 30 14:24

Re: [vox-tech] hard drive recovery

I've had some IBM Deskstars make some very interesting noises, including a
repeated clicking, and still have been able to get data off of them. I
think that how dead a drive is when it starts clicking depends on the drive
model. If the heads have fallen off the platter(s), the drive is truly hosed.

One could try to use dd to get the data off, but the problem with dd is
that it quits if it encounters a read (or write) error.

I've run across a utility called dd_rescue
(http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/)
that looks like it was written for just this purpose. I found out about it
after getting rid of my last Deskstar, so I haven't had a need to use it.
It looks good, though.