2002 Jul 30 06:19

Re: [vox-tech] Filesystems on linux for kids.

Re: [vox-tech] Filesystems on linux for kids.

Some ideas:

   1. Put ext3, as there is more support for it.

   2. Use an ATX case for the system, and make it so the power switch
      needs to be held for 5 seconds before it powers off.  Or,
      just disable the power switch from the inside and make it
      shut-downable only via software; you'll need to get a keyboard
      with power switch that can power up the system, though.

-Mark :)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Stephen M. Helms wrote:

> I was wondering what file system would be better to setup on a child's computer?
>  I have setup my kids systems as dual boot systems with win98 and debian
> (testing) linux.  Debian is currently using a ext2 filesystem.  The problem is
> that my kids will just reboot there computer sometimes without shuting it down
> properly.
>
> Would it be better to have ext3 or reiserfs as the main filesystem?
>
> Also, I was looking at the progeny graphical loader and thought that this would
> make a good installer to install a kid friendly version of linux such as debian
> with the debian-jr package for example.  Anyone interested in making this a
> project?  We could also have a LUGOD installer!
>
> Stephen

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.