2002 Jul 29 21:53

Re: [vox-tech] Filesystems on linux for kids.

Re: [vox-tech] Filesystems on linux for kids.

begin Stephen M. Helms <smh@silkie.org>

> I was wondering what file system would be better to setup on a child's computer?
>  I have setup my kids systems as dual boot systems with win98 and debian
> (testing) linux.  Debian is currently using a ext2 filesystem.  The problem is
> that my kids will just reboot there computer sometimes without shuting it down
> properly.
>
> Would it be better to have ext3 or reiserfs as the main filesystem?

stephen,

as with all computer topics, i'm sure there are other people with other
views...

i don't really see why any home user would stick with ext2.  if you want
a headache, i'd use reiserfs just because benchmarks say it's faster for
the home user than *stock* ext3.

if you want easy, converting ext2 to ext3 couldn't possibly be any
easier.  :)  you also have a filesystem debugger, not that your kids
would benefit from it.  someday they might.  :)

but either way, i'd say a journaling filesystem is a must for kids (and
adults) alike!

pete

--
Please don't put my email address in your Outlook addressbook.