2002 Jul 30 14:24

[vox-tech] hard drive recovery

hola,

a friend (who only uses windows) had a laptop hard drive fail.  it gives
the "click click of death" that you hear when a drive fails.

he asked about the possibility of recovering some unbacked up data.

would i be able to hook his laptop computer up to a linux box and use dd
to read in raw partion data?  i'm thinking something along the lines of:

dd if=/dev/hdd1 of=./firstpartition
dd if=/dev/hdd2 of=./secondpartition

that would be my knee-jerk response.  i've done some web searching, but
need to do more.  i know the dd works at a filesystem level.  is there a
lower level tool that would allow me to read up to where the hard crash
occured and perhaps after this point?

has anyone "been here" before?  what did you do?

do laptop IDE drives have the same interface that desktop IDE drives
have?

pete

--
Please don't put my email address in your Outlook addressbook.