2002 Jul 26 03:17

Re: [vox-tech] video garbage

begin Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu>
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
>
> > syslog says:
> >
> > ---------
> > Jul 26 02:18:15 monkey /usr/sbin/gpm[914]: oops() invoked from gpn.c(205)
> > Jul 26 02:18:15 monkey /usr/sbin/gpm[914]: /var/run/gpm.pid: No such file or
> 				   ^^^
> 				   *sigh*
> > directory
> > Jul 26 02:18:15 monkey xfs[224]: terminating
> > ---------
> >

> ack, nevermind, either it's late or I'm an idiot :)

are you talking about misreading "gpm" for "gdm" or are you talking
about not looking at your logs as a first line of attack?   ;-)

gabe, did you notice the unresolved symbols in your log?  related to
your GL system.   i'm guessing that's the problem.  in fact, i'm
guessing the "splash screen" you see makes use of GL functions.  your
rendering engine goes to grab whatever functions are used to render the
splash screen, and isn't finding them.

that's why you see the splash screen and then "nothing".

this will learn ya to install windows!   :-)

seriously, something had to have changed.  you had to have installed
something.  perhaps delete something?

pete

ps- that is the LONGEST xfree86 log i've ever seen!