2002 Jul 26 01:49

Re: [vox-tech] first shot with parted

[ much adventure snipped ]

Are you familiar with LVM (Logical Volume Manager)?  Brad Cox gave a nice
presentation on LVM and RAID at an NBLUG meeting this year.  Basically, you
assign your your storage (which may span multiple devices) into logical
volumes and groups which become block devices on which you can create
filesystems as you see fit.  The major nice thing is, the logical groups can
easily be grown or otherwise resized.  Reiser filesystems have to be
unmounted before growing, but i believe ext2/3 can be grown live.  To avoid
talking out my ass, I'm not going to say anything else other than it appears
to be an elegant, flexible way to manage diskspace.

Here is a post i found while searching for a better explanation than
what I could give off the top of my head:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=kuhq49.mk.ln%40127.0.0.1>

-troy