2002 Jul 25 14:27

Re: [vox-tech] checking for interactive shell in bash

Re: [vox-tech] checking for interactive shell in bash

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>

> On Thursday 25 July 2002 12:48 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i just read that testing the length of $PS1 is a way of checking if
> > we're in an interactive shell (zero length means non-interactive, of
> > course).
> >
> > seems like a pretty humble solution, but it appears to work.  i guess it
> > hinges on you not setting PS1 before testing it, since /etc/profile *is*
> > read by non-interactive shells.  that's a big nota-bene.
>
> As is ~/.profile and ~/.bash_profile.
>
> That's actualy where I set my prompt.......
>
> I'm sure I'm not the only one.

i don't think that would be a problem since the global bash startup
files are read before the per-user bash startup files.

at least i'm pretty sure i remember reading that in man bash awhile ago.
:)

pete