2002 Jul 21 14:49

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Woody Officially Released

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Woody Officially Released

Quoting myself:

> As I said, my server systems had "stable" specified in sources.list the
> day that potato replaced slink in that capacity.

I've been honestly trying to remember this stuff, and on reflection
think the above is in error.  According to Debian Weekly News, August
15, 2000 was when 2.1/slink was retired and 2.2/potato made the new
"stable" branch.  The "testing" branch hadn't yet been created:  It came
in a few months later on December 18, 2000.  The mirors had to migrate
to the "package pools" scheme first, and that in turn was held up until
2.2/potato became the new "stable".

Anyhow, I suspect that my recollection of hardly-any-new-packages was
on workstations that had the word "potato" specified in
/etc/apt/sources.list , _not_ "stable".  I probably noticed among all
the hoopla about potato being "released" that August 15, 2000 was pretty
much a non-event for systems already following that named branch -- that
the functional difference between it being "not released" a day or two
prior and "released" on August 15 was just a couple of minor updates.

More relevant to Bill's anecdote would have been what was going on at
my _servers_ at the same time (when apt-get took them from slink to
potato).  I really don't remember, so I doubt there was much to it.
If there had been problems, I'd probably still remember.

Which brings me to the main point.  Bill, your system got a bunch of
updates, when (by tracking "stable") it moved from potato to woody, the
other day.  Did it break?  Or are you just saying a whole lot of things
got upgraded?

Absent evidence to the contrary, I'd assume that that sort of transition
(on the "stable" track) is one of the things the release plan aimed to
make work without fuss -- and that it's reasonable to expect it to do
so.  My (not very clear) recollection from last time suggests it did,
back then.

--
Cheers,                                     SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!
Rick Moen                                   SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!