2002 Jul 19 23:17

Re: [vox-tech] hold on to your hats - perl vs python

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 04:38:12PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:

> Also, not very powerful, IMO. Great in combination with shell scripts,
> tho'.
>
>  > It's yet one more great Unix
>  > tool for manipulating text and the odd system-admin
>  > chore. It's been around alot longer than Ruby or Python
>  > (maybe even longer than Perl), which is a plus.
>
> Definitely longer than Perl - Perl gets many of its great ideas from
> awk. I tend to think of Perl as awk on steroids.
>
> But why is "been around longer" a plus?

Because generally languages that have been around for a
while get faster, less buggy and better documented.
There are exceptions: consider C++, now 20 years old,
yet the core language and the support environment are
going through dramatic changes.

Regards,
Chuck Polisher

--
X Windows. It could be worse, but it'll take time.