2002 Jul 18 17:43

Re: [vox-tech] ruby (was: hold on to your hats - perl vs python)

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 04:49:13PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Thursday 18 July 2002 04:30 pm, Henry House wrote:
> > I like writing
> >
> > 		'a b c d'.split(/\s/).each do |i|
> > 			puts "elem = #{i}"
> > 		end
> >
> > than
> >
> > 		foreach my $i (split(/\s/, "a b c d")) {
> > 			print "elem = $i\n"
> > 		}
>
> Actually the Perl version can be a bit more succinct:
>
>   for (split /\s/, "a b c d") {print "elem = $_\n"}

True. I consider $_ and friends to be ugliness best avoided, however. Perl
can be made plenty succinct, but usually at the cost of readability. To read
such perl code you need to keep a lot of syntax rules in your head.

Btw, the best place to learn about ruby is www.ruby-lang.org.

--
Henry House