2002 Jul 18 15:41

Re: [vox-tech] wireless lan?

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 10:26 pm, ME wrote:
> Check into the latest pcmcia-cs tree
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmcia-cs/
>
> Check into Wireless tools:
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html

Just to clarify, these tools are standard in RedHat.  For example, in
RedHat 7.3, the packages kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.27-18 and
wireless-tools-23-2 are installed.

In fact, things were so well configured that I went to a nearby
AirPort-equipped coffee shop, plugged my Orinico card in my
Inspiron, and I was live on the net before I had even decided
how to start poking around to get it working.  Wow.

That's the end-user side of things; I can't say much about base
stations.  Only thing that comes to mind is I think I remember reading
about a Linux tool for AirPort configuration...  Oh, and I remember
a tutorial, somewhere on the O'Reilly site, that talked about how to
build a Wireless router using a WiFi card in a PC.  Always struck
me as a cool little project.  Yes, here are some links:
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2002/04/11/enterprise.html
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/03/06/recipe.html
The latter is "Recipe for a Linux 802.11b Home Network."

shawn.