2002 Jul 16 12:31

[vox-tech] snooping on another process's memory map

[vox-tech] snooping on another process's memory map

hi all,

i'm writing a program that snoops on another process's memory.  it
basically makes a target progress into a child process and uses ptrace()
to "peek" on the various memory maps.  it'll also "poke" values into a
process's memory map.

i do this all in user mode.  no kernel modules required.  i wanted to
write a utility that doesn't require privileged mode to run (except for
the system calls.  can't really avoid that one).

does this sound interesting enough for anyone to collaborate with me?
i'll send the code to anyone who wants to look at it.  comments are most
welcome.

i'm making extensive use of the glib library.  i don't think anyone here
has really played with this library, but it's easy to pick up.   i'm
using it for GStrings (dynamic strings), GArrays (dynamic arrays),
GLists (doubly linked list) and GSLists (single linked list).  it's part
of the gtk+ development library, so chances are good are you have the
libraries on your system already.

send me _private_ email if anyone is interested.

pete