2002 Jul 15 16:05

Re: [vox-tech] Installing dosemu Debian help please

Re: [vox-tech] Installing dosemu Debian help please

begin Dick Ely using JPS-SMTP & POP <dick@davis.com>
> Lugod Debian People:
>
> Please Help '
>
> I am using Debian. I app-getted *dos-emu*. it installed fine except at the
> end it said "opening using false"  What does that mean??

hmm.  no idea.

just to let you know, the people at dosemu have a very unfriendly
product.  they don't give a rat's ass for usability.

they just recently converted their docs from the most god awful format.
it was a half-baked scheme that made no sense.  installing dosemu is
sheer nonsense.  and it doesn't even play legacy games that well,
either.

i think the recent advances in wine kind of overshadowed dosemu.  it's
kind of a musty program at this point.  too bad.

btw, the developer version is 1.1.3.  woody's version is 1.0.  i'm
guessing that sound works in 1.1.3.  the sound code was in shambles in
1.0.  you may want to install from source (although that's pretty
horrendous.  i had to read source to understand where things were
expected to go).

> It then said I had to separately install dos-emu-freedos.

yup.  something about the license makes it unpackagable i think.

> While installing
> *dos-emu-freedos* it hung during my attempts to untar it.  I gave the
> command   tar -vx {file.tgz}.  It just stared at me and did
> nothing.   There are days I feel like such a fool with this program.

tar -zxvf file.tgz

you need to specify "-f", otherwise (i think) it looks for the file on
its standard input.  that's what it was waiting for.  it was waiting for
you to start typing in a gzipped tar file from the keyboard.

btw, i don't want to discourage you, but like i said, dosemu is a hard
program to set up and configure.  you're going to have to do alot of
legwork.  and afaik, there are only a very few people on this list
besides me who have played around with it extensively.  i've lost
interest in it.  maybe after i graduate i'll take a look to see how much
progress they've made...

if your app doesn't use sound, if it doesn't use much graphics, you'll
prolly be ok.  if you're trying to use something like tomb raider or
redneck rampage, then good luck!  :)

pete