2002 Jul 15 17:52

[vox-tech] Help Request with SAMBA and SWAT

[vox-tech] Help Request with SAMBA and SWAT

Dear Linux folks:

I currently have a new Installfest Debian installed system.  Mozilla and
Apiword work fine.
Gnome seems to be working ok.

SAMBA  I am trying to get Samba going.  I have been playing with smb.conf
file and have some luck working with the manual sharing my Linux files...
But no luck yet sharing printers nor seeing the networked files on MS boxes
connected.  I understand that I should create my own smb.conf file and have
been working with massive docs to do that.  But time is somewhat limited
and I would be grateful for some help. My objective is to get to work and I
am having limited success with smb.conf files.

  I would like to use SWAT or other recommended SAMBA set-up .

SWAT simply hangs when I try to run it and when I try to log on  to
//localhost:901using gnome   I get *connection refused*.

First:  Why cannot I log on to //localhost:901 using gnome?

Second: Is SWAT a useful approach?  If so what is a good way to implement it.

Thanks
Nubie
Dick Ely