2002 Jul 13 14:51

Re: [vox-tech] TeX question: writing a robust fraction macro

Re: [vox-tech] TeX question: writing a robust fraction macro

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 06:00:51PM -0700, Shawn P. Neugebauer wrote:
[...]
> My current opinion (having blown a bit of time putting together
> this note) is to leave well enough alone.  In other words, don't
> worry about the italic issue--even latex doesn't bother with that
> (see Test 7).  Furthermore, I bet most of the time you should just
> spell such fractions out.  But, if you really want or need a slanted
> fraction, I think the myslantfrac macro below looks just fine.

The macro is to be used for typesetting a cookbook; comparable usage suggests
that fractions should be not be written out in words but should change to
italics in italic text. (Keeping maths in roman in italic blocks is of course
the correct usage in the mathematical papers for which LaTeX was designed.)

Thanks for the suggestions!

--
Henry House