2002 Jul 10 16:12

Re: [vox-tech] ODE solvers in C

Matt,

I've had a lot of experience solving ODE, and I have come to prefer
programming in C or its derivatives by far to programming in FORTRAN.
Nevertheless, the fact remains that the best, freely-available, ODE solvers
are all written in FORTRAN.  This has never posed a problem for me, however:
I simply compile with g77 and link to the driver routine (written in C) with
gcc.  You may want to think about compiler flags and may have to get ahold of
the f2c library so you can link against that too.

I would not recommend writing your own ODE solver.  Understanding the way
your code is working, in general, is a good thing.  Knowing the details of
the implementation of an adaptive step-size, multiorder ODE solver is
another.  I would recommend getting started with LSODE, which you can
download, in FORTRAN, from the netlib site: www.netlib.org.  Then you can
focus on the science.

Aaron