January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jul 09 18:29

Re: [vox-tech] running service as a different user

Re: [vox-tech] running service as a different user

Can you use SetUID?

If not, you can always write a program to spawn jabber as a user program
in C.  Pseudocode:

   #include <stdio.h>

   int main()
   {
      setuid(<jabber's UID>);
      exec("/usr/bin/jabber");
   }

Or something similar...

-Mark

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Patrick Stockton wrote:

> I'm testing around with a jabber server and don't want to run the
> service as root when I have the jabberd service start from an init script.
>
> named and mysql support user flags that tell it to run the process as a
> different user but jabberd doesn't seem to have a similar flag.
>
> Now I've created a user and group named jabber and plan on assigning
> permissions to the jabber directories to the jabber user.  The jabber
> user does not have log on rights to the system.  How can I have the
> system run the jabber service as a different user?  Is there some sort
> of wrapper I can use?
>
> I'm using Mandrake 8.2 and have compiled the jabber server from source.
>
> Patrick

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.