2002 Jul 09 17:50

[vox-tech] running service as a different user

[vox-tech] running service as a different user

I'm testing around with a jabber server and don't want to run the
service as root when I have the jabberd service start from an init script.

named and mysql support user flags that tell it to run the process as a
different user but jabberd doesn't seem to have a similar flag.

Now I've created a user and group named jabber and plan on assigning
permissions to the jabber directories to the jabber user.  The jabber
user does not have log on rights to the system.  How can I have the
system run the jabber service as a different user?  Is there some sort
of wrapper I can use?

I'm using Mandrake 8.2 and have compiled the jabber server from source.

Patrick