2002 Jul 01 16:44

Re: [vox-tech] Is xf86cfg the preferred configuration tool for XF86 4.x?

Re: [vox-tech] Is xf86cfg the preferred configuration tool for XF86 4.x?

ah, i forgot to mention: XF86Config almost always needs to have the
mouse reconfigured by hand, as you mentioned in your post.  but other
than that, between the PCI db, DDC capabilities and using the VESA
standard as a guideline for videotimings, i've honestly found it, from
experience, to be nearly flawless.

the one time it wasn't flawless was with a system that had a video card
AND an on-board video chipset.  i didn't know it at the time, but XF86Config
was trying to configure xinerama.  it's possible that xinerama would've
worked if we had a second monitor.   how's that for service?  :-)

i don't think that xf86cfg does any probing.  plus, the key bindings
stink almost as badly as XF86Setup did.  in essence, it's an XF86Setup
clone for X4.  so from experience, the question:

   what's the best way to configure X on debian

has the answer:

   using XFree86 -configure

it's that simple.    :-)

pete

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>

--
Wondertwins activate!  Shape of an ice burg!  Form of a hammer!