2002 Jul 01 16:44

Re: [vox-tech] GIMP and 8-bit GIFs

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:45:31AM -0700, Henry House wrote:

> If you are using Debian, then you need the 'gimp-nonfree' package. Other
> distros vary, but likely have a similar package for GIF support. Alernately,
> save as PNG (or other convenient format) and use the command-line convert
> program tp convert to GIF. It is beastly slow but effective and supports many
> options to customize the output. It is part of the ImageMagick package.

Ah - If .gif support (e.g. "nonfree") was the issue, then yeah.  What
Henry said. :)

Also, you can use NetPBM like so:

  pngtopnm SOME.PNG | pnmquant -fs 256 | ppmtogif > SOME.GIF

Where "pnmquant -fs 256" makes a Floyd-Steinberg dithered image of 256 colors.
You can also use palettes and other good stuff here, too.  (I believe the
format of the "palette" file you can use with 'pnmquant' is simply
some .PPM file.)

Good luck!