2002 Jul 01 12:05

Re: [vox-tech] GIMP and 8-bit GIFs

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:36:03AM -0700, Alexandra Thorn wrote:

> I need to create some images for some old software that can only handle
> 8-bit graphics (GIF87).  I've been messing with the GIMP, trying to create
> things in the right format, and am getting a little frustrated.  Can
> someone tell me how to do this?

If you are using Debian, then you need the 'gimp-nonfree' package. Other
distros vary, but likely have a similar package for GIF support. Alernately,
save as PNG (or other convenient format) and use the command-line convert
program tp convert to GIF. It is beastly slow but effective and supports many
options to customize the output. It is part of the ImageMagick package.

--
Henry House