January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 30 16:52

Re: [vox-tech] Sound Trouble with trident module

Re: [vox-tech] Sound Trouble with trident module

Rusty,

I've read that this isn't the most secure way to do this, but I don't know
why sound would necessarly be a security issue (anyone out there pipe in
if you have an opinion on this)...

chmod 666 /dev/dsp*
chmod 666 /dev/audio*
chmod 666 /dev/mixer*

also, for convenience of playing audio cds
chmod 666 /dev/cdrom* (this one is probably a bad idea if you ever intend
to have priate files on a cdrom).

The other method for dealing with giving sound to users was only
slightly more involved and I believe it had to do with creating a group that had ownership to
these devices and adding appropriate users to this group.

Dave