2002 Jun 30 16:23

Re: [vox-tech] kernel questions (2.4.18)

Re: [vox-tech] kernel questions (2.4.18)

If USB is the only thing you want from 2.4.x, I think you can compile just
the USB stuff and load them as modules into 2.2.x.  It's a bit tricky but
I'm pretty sure it can be done.  I've compiled *parts* of USB stuff into
different kernels without any problems.  The steps should be something
like:

   1. Boot into the kernel you'll be using.

   2. Go into the USB directory of the 2.4.x kernel source.

   3. Create a makefile.  You'll need to do his by grabbing a Makefile
      from some open source project that creates modules (I used
      QuickCam module from sourceforge) and modify its Makefile to
      compile the files in the USB directory.

   4. Make and copy them into some directory modprobe can find.

Alternatively, you might be able to compile 2.4.x kernel with all USB
stuff as modules, turn off versioning in modules, and just copy them into
2.2.x.

I think Bill's managed to get USB working on 2.2.x kernel by patching up
his system several times so he may know some easier way to get USB working
on 2.2.x.

-Mark

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, David Margolis wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I have a funny issue.
>
> When I go to mount a cdrom (either /dev/hdc, Philips CD-RW or /dev/hdd,
> El Cheapo DVD), my system tries to
> mount the cd for a momemt, and then locks up to the point that nothing
> short of the reset button gets me out of the situation.  This all started
> happening when I recently upgraded to 2.4.18.  When I reboot into 2.2.19,
> no problem.  Are there any known issues with 2.4.18 that would cause this
> kind of issue?  I doubt _can't mount a cdrom_ is what you'd normally
> call a known issue, so I suspect it's an incompatibility with the IDE
> chipset or something on the motherboard (all VIA).  I would use 2.2.19
> indefinatley, but the newer NVidia drivers don't like that kernel for some
> reason (which was never a problem with older versions of the NVidia
> driver), so now I'm kind of stuck.
>
> Is there a lower-numbered 2.4.x that is more reliable than 2.4.18?
> Is now the time to start shopping around for 2.5.x (I'm not
> a very bleeding edge kinda fella).
>
> I also thought about compliling a 2.2.20, seeing how I've always been
> happy and confortable with 2.2.x, but I want to try and take advantage of
> USB Mass Storage, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), is what I
> need to get the pics off my new digital camera (a USB-interfaced Kodak,
> which is supposedly supported).  Don't I need a 2.4.x for that?
>
> Also, on an unrelated note, 2.4.18 pics up my soundcard differently.  It
> finds it as an es1371, which it is, but calls it something differnt, a
> Tritech TR28023, and the sound is a slight bit pingier.
>
> I realize this is a lot, so help if you can.  I'm mostly concerned about
> the cdrom issue, USB stuff and sound can come later.
>
> Here's a relevant breakdown of the hardware involved:
>
> Important stuff:
> Celeron 1 ghz
> Shuttle AV18E VIA VT82c694t/VT82C686B
> DMA 100 ...
>
> Less important stuff:
> 320 MB PC100 SDRAM
> G-Force2 MX 400
> SB 16 (es1371)
>
> All of this is run by a fairly modified install of Slackware 8.0
> which has been running fine for some time...
>
> Thanks in advance for your input,
> Dave Margolis

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/