2002 Jun 28 18:03

Re: [vox-tech] Re: Part Way Into X

--- ME <dugan@passwall.com> wrote:
<snip>

> after the reboot. (Still
> waiting to see confirmation to the question I posed
> asking for an explicit
> answer on X working after reboot instead of relying
> upon an implicit
> direction that it was running.)

X was working fine before the incident in question,
and it works fine now.  The power off and re-start
fixed the symptoms.

<snip>

> Also, the machine became non-responsive to pings.
> That should not be a
> function of a poor display but actually one of a
> halted machine. However,
> this assumes it could be pinged before X was
> started.

I pinged it during the initial network setup.  It was
fine.  After the re-start, I can ping fine.  Same for
FTP access.

> We can also examine heat, uptime, and reliability of
> the HD in case swap
> was being used excessively and something was
> corrupted.
>
> Of course, we need another event like this and I am
> sure the owner does
> not want another event like this. ]:>
<snip>

True, but I'll do whatever you want to help determine
what happened if you think it worthwhile.

I'm also willing to attribute it to the general
randomness of the universe, and not worry too much
until it becomes repeatable.

Meanwhile I'll work on the wrapper that ME provided.
Thanks to all for your efforts and comments.

---
Jim