2002 Jun 28 13:14

Re: [vox-tech] Pointer Trouble with Touchpad

Re: [vox-tech] Pointer Trouble with Touchpad

(On my mistake with gdp instead of gpm...)

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> mike, what's gpd?  normally i'd say it was a typo, but "d" and "m" are
> pretty far away from each other.   :)

Really bad brain-squelch-typo! gpm (not gdp). Let' I have problems with
these: "gdb" (GNU DeBugger), "GDP" (Gross Domestic Product), "GNU" (GNUs
Not UNIX), "GPG" (GNU Privacy Guard), GMT, (Grenwich Mean Time) and out
friend "gpm" (General Purpose Mouse)

gee... I mean, wow. Sorry about that.

Working with thoughts on macroeconomics lately and transposed one TLA for
another.

> gpm doesn't need a patch to capture wheel events.  (so maybe gpd wasn't
> a typo?)   :)
>
> what IS necessary is instructions on how to send wheel events to (mostly
> older) applications that don't look for wheel events.  for instance, if
> you use old netscape.  there's a site that collects snippets of code to
> paste into your .Xdefaults that give hints to older apps on how to use
> the events.   the dude who maintains the site is something like "nicols
> colas".   a search on +wheel +mouse +linux +colas should turn his site
> up.

Nope, it is a typo.

http://koala.ilog.fr/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
has links to patches to imwheel and gpm that I was writing about, but the
link is broken.

imwheel it seems was also needed.

Perhaps, since I cant find the links out there, the changes have been
included within gpm?

Check out the man pages to imwheel it discusses use of a modified gpm
and a new fifo /dev/gpmwheel

I see references to wheel support in my Debain
/usr/doc/gpm/changelog.Debian.gz

-ME