2002 Jun 28 14:23

[vox-tech] Re: Two Lists, Part Way Into X

[vox-tech] Re: Two Lists, Part Way Into X

stderrput of startx:

(stderrput == standard output)  ;*)

begin Jim Angstadt <jimajima9@yahoo.com>

> (**) MGA(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
> (==) MGA(0): RGB weight 565
> (--) MGA(0): Chipset: "mgag100"
> (II) MGA(0): Offscreen memory usage will be limited to
> 512 lines if the DRI is enabled.
> (==) MGA(0): Using AGP Mode 1x
> (--) MGA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xE5000000
> (--) MGA(0): MMIO registers at 0xEFEFC000
> (--) MGA(0): Pseudo-DMA transfer window at 0xEF000000
> (--) MGA(0): BIOS at 0xEFEE0000
> (--) MGA(0): Video BIOS info block at offset 0x07AC0
> (--) MGA(0): Found and verified enhanced Video BIOS
> info block
> (WW) MGA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range
> (0xe5000000,0x800000)

^^^^ related to MTRR.   not a fatal error (but curious).

> (EE) MGA(0): [drm] Direct rendering only supported
> with G200/G400 AGP

^^^^ boy is that a poorly written error message.  you have a
     G100, which doesn't support DRI.  this isn't an error, and calling
     it one is, imho, misguided.  anyway, this isn't of any concern to
     us.

> (II) MGA(0): direct rendering disabled

yup.  non-fatal unless you're playing 3d games.

> SESSION_MANAGER=local/brc.org:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1074
> Xlib:  extension "XINERAMA" missing on display ":0.0".

this could be a problem.  i don't know why it's trying to set up
xinerama.

do you have an onboard video chip on your motherboard?

> rm: cannot remove `/home/ja/.gnome//gmc-mU9GEw': No
> such file or directory
>
> GnomeUI-WARNING **: Could not open help topics file
> NULL

looks like gnome might be sick, but i don't use gnome, so i don't know.

here's my assessment:

* upgrade your system
* i forget what mike egan said about screensavers, but do whatever mike
    says.  mike is almost always correct.  his only flaw is he usually
    gives too much advice.  ;-)   but somewhere in his posts, he is
    usually dead-on the problem.

if these two things don't pan out, we can look at the problem in more
detail.  but for now, mike gave you two excellent avenues of attack.

pete