2002 Jun 28 10:59

Re: [vox-tech] Part Way Into X

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> Hi ME,
>
> X has worked for about a year.  I don't know the
> version.

Is this something that "just happened all of a sudden while you were
running X and actually doing useful stuff" or was this "something that
happened right when you started up X" ?

Have you tried to install and GLX, or 3d X support libs from RedHat? Any
kind of extra video or additions to video? (DRI, GLX, 3dx, 3d?)

Have you altered any of you X configurations or allowed anyone else to do
so?

> The left one third of the screen is full black.  No
> gray, no colors, just black.
>
> The right two thirds has a pattern of diagonal lines.
> The diagonal lines are composed of various colors:
> red, yellow, green, blue, aqua, pink, and maybe more.
>
> The space between the lines is a more randome mix of
> the same colors.
>
> It takes about 3 seconds for a diagonal line to go
> from the top of the screen to the bottom and off.

(imported from other message in Q about screen saver)
> I have been using the default, which is random.  It cycles thru a
> variety of screensavers.

This sounds like X is misbehaving. I am also interested in the screen
saver questions.

Finish working with Pete on this until you get to the point where he asks
you to reboot your box. After rebooting your box, it may do a filesystem
check (depending on the filesystem your are using) and then boot back up.

If everything seems to work fine after the reboot, then please test
changing your screensaver to something other than random. (I seem to
recall people with this problem said even changing it to a specific
screesaver and then back to random prevented this problem, but I dont use
RedHat and cant say for certain if it did.) When the problem occured,
sometimes the screensaver would work, and other times it would
not. Agains, i dont know the version of RedHat, but it was one or morte of
the 7.x series.

-ME