2002 Jun 28 10:48

Re: [vox-tech] Part Way Into X

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> My Red Hat 7.1 box booted normally to the command line
> this morning.  Ran startx and hung part way into it.
> I see a carpet pattern that slowly moves N to S and is
> composed of diagonal lines in various colors.
>
> How do I get out of limbo?  Please keep it simple.

This sounds like a poorly configured X. Has "X" ever worked on this
machine before? What version of X are you running?

If your background is a grey (up close it looks like a checkerboard
black/white) pattern, and your pointer is a "X" that moves with the mouse
or just hangs out int a corner even when you move your mouse, then that is
one problem. (I read Peter was addressing this in the window manager
message, so I wont re-state what he has stated.)

If you have multiple colors, odd patterns, black screen with odd lines
here and there, and/or shifted bit patterns on the screen, then it is more
likely that the settings for your video card in your XF86Config (or
XF86Config-4) are not properly done or there is no support for your video
card in that X server (suggesting an upgrade in X).

-ME