January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 27 23:04

[vox-tech] Apache, IE, error 404

I'm curious, is there any way to make an Apache webserver magically
notice when an IE browser is about to get an error 404 and not actually
send a "404" error code back?  (e.g., show whatever error page it would
show, but respond as if it was an "ok", versus a "file not found")

The point is to circumvent the stupid built-in IE error response pages
which are, in turn, circumventing any _useful_ error page your webserver
may be providing.  (LUGOD.org, for example, has a rather sophisticated
error page which understands typos, knows about some out-of-date URLs,
and so forth...  It's sad to think so many people might never even see
the useful error response because IE is overriding the server's actual HTML)

Thx!