2002 Jun 27 15:48

Re: [vox-tech] Laptop Computer setup for IF

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 06:34:09PM -0700, Rusty Minden wrote:
> I have set aside about 17GB for the /home directory.
>
> I will be using a small router with a four port switch with DHCP set up.
>
> My question was very incomplete here it is.
>
> 1	Should I set up the ftp directory in the /home or in a different directory

It is not critically important. If you plan to experiment, I suggest making
one big partition as large as possible and mounting it under /part1 or
somesuch. Then create /home and /export as symlinks to directories under
/part1.

> 2	How much space will I need.

As much as you can spare, you can use. Mike set up a full Debian mirror on
the LUGOD demo machine recently, which fit in 18G. (Mike: can you elaborate?)

> 3	I am not sure how to set this up. I was looking at jigdo-file, but I am not
> sure if that is the correct direction to go.

I suspect that a full or partial Debian mirror (just as you find scattered
around the 'Net) will serve you better for installations. A few floppies are
sufficient to start an installation, the base tarball and packages being
gotten from the server via FTP. Or you can use a CD to boot and bring up the
net, but get base and all packages from FTP, ensuring that everything is
current. I believe Debian installers also can use HTTP. If you already know
how to set up HTTP, that is a better choice. Several popular FTP servers have
poor security records.

Perhaps Mike can explain to you how to create the mirror. I have created
partial mirrors myself, but have given up the practice in favor of a squid
cache.

On the other hand, ISO images are chiefly useful for burning CDs.

> 4	I plan to have non-Debian files available for download such as patches for
> Red Hat and for Laptops the fiels and configuration scripts from
> linux-laptop.net.

Should be fine; just give them their own directories.

--
Henry House