2002 Jun 23 02:07

Re: [vox-tech] In Denial About These Hard Drive Problems

Re: [vox-tech] In Denial About These Hard Drive Problems

> the liner notes hint at some animosity toward the lnx-bbc folk.  i
> wonder if there's a story here.

So, basically _all_ of the original BBC maintainers were laid off from
Linuxcare, almost all at once.  That left basically one guy who had even
peripheral involvement, and I believe that was David Desrosiers (but may
be misremembering).  When Seth David Shoen was laid off, he announced
the fork because nobody among the traditional maintainers had access to
the company-internal CVS.  The LNX-BBC fork was thus the direct
descendent of (if memory serves) Linuxcare BBC v. 1.21.

Nothing whatsoever happened with the original fork for a long time,
after that.  Then, suddenly the BBC got renamed to LBT just in time
for Linuxworld, and new v. 1.5 came out -- followed later by 2.0.

Both projects' images are absolutely worth having.  Just this evening, a
fellow brought by a PIII system to my user group on which LNX-BBC 1.618
hanged during hardware recognition, but LBT 2.0 worked beautifully.