2002 Jun 21 12:49

Re: [vox-tech] preventing display of typed text?

On Friday 21 June 2002 07:03 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>
>
> > On Thursday 20 June 2002 11:36 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > without checking, i've used 2 perl modules that might help:
> > >
> > > term which implements the advanced features that termcap provides like
> > > underlining and boldfacing text
> > >
> > > ncurses which basically implements the C style ncurses library.
> > >
> > > i would imagine both modules allow you to do this.  in fact, i _know_
> > > that C/ncurses has a function to block echo in raw mode.  i'm guessing
> > > that perl/ncurses can do this too.
> >
> > I prefer a solution that is platform independant
>
> ryan, this is perl code.  what makes you think these modules aren't
> platform independent?
>
> don't you think DOS has it's own terminal handling capabilities?

I didn't think DOS had curses, and for some reason Term doesn't seem to want
to work. (I tried the bit of code from `perldoc -q password`, but perl
complains about the module not being in @INC, even though it is as far as I
can tell.)

Can't locate loadable object for module Term::ReadKey in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at ./passtest.pl line 3

even though I installed it with CPAN, and it seems to be in the right place;

$ locate ReadKey.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/Term/ReadKey.pm

Term::ReadKey sounds to be what I'm looking for, for perl, but it's not
working :(

> ps- for bash, look at tput.

Mark's sugguestion of stty helped (it works fine), however, I couldn't find
the needed option for tput in the manpage.

A bit of searching also turned up the escape sequeace '^]]&dS' which works,
and seems to turn back off after '^]&' but I have no idea where this will and
will not work. :/