2002 Jun 23 02:00

Re: [vox-tech] fwd: [lugod lert] Unstable Linux Machine

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Henry House wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 10:30:57AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > This problem doesn't sound Linux-specific (it's unstable
> > with Windows too, right?).
> >
> > Sounds like a bad motherboard, RAM or CPU.  Here's the
> > standard drill:
> >
> > If you're overclocking, don't.  Try UNDERclocking.  Make
> > sure your jumper and BIOS settings are all conservative
> > and correct.  If you have multiple memory modules, try it
> > with first just one and then another.  Make sure there's
> > heatsink compound between the CPU and the heatsink.  Try a
> > different CPU.
> >
> > If none of the above helps, it's probably the motherboard.
>
> A good way to test RAM is MemTest86*. It does not find all problems, but many
> folks have found it useful.
>
> * http://www.memtest86.com/

Check temperatures... try to run cpu temperature monitoring software under
either operating system (W98/ME will tend to heat it more at idle than
WNT/W2K/WXP or Linux), which will to check this... 45C is a reasonable
normal operating temperature, 60C is okay if your box is working hard, 90C
is not okay. :)  Do something CPU intensive to see if you can provoke a
lockup.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing